GRE Reading Comprehension
When cut, the synthetic material fiberglass, like asbestos, releases microscopic fibers into the air. It is known that people who inhale asbestos, fibers suffer impairment of lung functions. A study of 300 factory workers who regularly cut fiberglass showed that their lung capacity is, on average, only 90 percent of that of a comparable group of people who do not cut fiberglass.
The statements above, if true, most strongly support which of the following hypotheses?
- A People who work with fiberglass are likely also to work with asbestos.
- B Fiberglass fibers impair lung function in people who inhale them.
- C Fiberglass releases as many fibers into the air when cut as does asbestos.
- D Coarse fibers do not impair lung function in people who inhale them.
- E If uncut, fiberglass poses no health risk to people who work with it.
Correct Answer: B